Mulch provides a whole range of benefits to trees both new and old. Installing mulch properly around your tree is pretty simple but very important.
- Regulates soil temperatures
- Helps retain moisture in the soil
- Prevents erosion
- Reduces competition between other plants and the tree
- 2 to 4 inches of mulch is enough. Too much is a bad thing!
- Keep mulch away from the trunk of the tree. At least 6″. Butting mulch directly up against the trunk of a tree can create a number of issues.
- Remove previous year’s mulch occasionally.
- Mulch as large of an area as possible under the canopy of the tree.